Wilmer Hall was founded in 1864
In 1864, Bishop Richard Hooker Wilmer of the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama founded The Church Home for Orphans in Tuscaloosa to care for orphans and widows who were victims of war, poverty, and disease. The Church Home moved to downtown Mobile in 1866.
In March of 1916, the home was moved to Spring Hill in Mobile. The first four buildings were designed in a Tudor style and housed the children as well as the deaconesses who cared for them.
In 1948, by a vote at the Diocesan Convention for the Diocese of Alabama, the Church Home's name was formally changed to Wilmer Hall Children's Home in memory of Bishop Wilmer.
In 2007, the Transitional Living Program began, serving young adults who have been homeless, at risk of being homeless or living in an unhealthy or unsafe home.
In 2009, Education4Life began on-campus tutoring for school children from around the community who are in need of academic support.
In 2014, the Transitional Family Program began serving young mothers and their children who have been homeless, at risk of being homeless or living in an unhealthy or unsafe home.
In 2017, using Education4Life's successful model, we began tutoring programs in schools around the community to form the Community-Based Education Program.
In 2019, Wilmer Hall founded a delivery-based Food Pantry, serving food insecure individuals and families in the community.