In the early 1900s the home was moved to Spring Hill. The first four buildings were designed in a tudor style and housed the children as well as the deaconesses who cared for them. For the next 40 years these buildings were more than adequate. However, as needs grew and the number of children increased, four more cottages were constructed behind the four original buildings. In addition to the cottages a gymnasium was built on the back of the property. These buildings were completed in 1968.
Wilmer Hall originated in 1864 and was started by Bishop Richard H. Wilmer, the second bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama. Wilmer saw the plight of Civil War orphans and planned a children’s home for them in Mobile, Ala. Originally the home was located in Tuscaloosa, Ala. because of concerns of an attack on the port city from the Union Navy.